Swami Dayananda Saraswati founded Arya Samaj, and it has a special place in Indian society. Arya Samaj temple allows people to get married with simple and straightforward rituals, which are somewhat similar to Hindu rituals.
People who are from a different religion but fall under the big umbrella of Hinduism can perform the Arya Samaj marriage. And it can be a wiling choice of people from Buddhism, Jainism, or Sikhism. The marriage ceremony is performed by an able priest adhering to the Vedic rituals in the Arya Samaj Mandir. And according to these Vedic rituals, the hymns spelled during the wedding are explained to the groom and bride.
The government of India legally recognizes it under the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955. Unlike traditional marriage, Arya Samaj marriage takes around 1-2 hours for completion. However, Arya Samaj does have the responsibility to check the legality of the marriage. Once you have submitted the fees and filled out the form completely, the wedding will be performed after 48 hours wait period.
You must be eligible for the marriage in Arya Samaj temple, and here are the eligibility requirements for the Arya Samaj marriage.
Eligibility for Arya Samaj marriage
Here are the eligibility points for Arya Samaj Marriage in Delhi or any other state.
- The groom must be 21, and the bride must be 18 years of age to have the ceremony.
- Anyone who belongs to Hindu, Buddhist, Jain, and Sikh can perform Arya Samaj Marriage.
- Anyone who does not belong to Muslim, Christian, Parsis, or Jews can also perform the Arya Samaj Marriage.
- They also allow inter-caste and inter-religion marriages, but none of the persons should be Muslim, Christian, Parsis, or Jews.
- If a non-Hindu wants to get married the Arya Samaj way, they have to go through a process called Shuddhi and convert to Hindu. This process of Shuddhi can only be performed if anyone from Muslim, Christian, Parsis, or Jews willing to convert out of their free will.
You would need to register the Arya Samaj Marriage after the rituals, and here are the documents required for that.
Documents required for Arya Samaj Marriage
Here is the list of Arya Samaj Marriage documents you would need before going to file for registration.
- You would have to submit four copies of passport size photos of both the bride and groom.
- You must produce the date of birth proof for both the parties.
- The bride and groom must have reached the age limit set by the Arya Samaj Temple.
- You also need two witnesses for the marriage.
- In case, if one of the spouses is widow, you would need to present the death certificate for that.
- If one of the spouses is from a foreign country, they would need to present the certificate for the current marital status of NOC from the concerned embassy and must have a valid visa.
So, these the documents required to file for the Arya Samaj certificate from the temple. You would need an additional marriage certificate from the marriage registrar in India. You can get that by presenting the current Arya Samaj marriage certificate.