😊The Hormones Of Happiness : How To Increase Them😊
All of your feelings and emotions are a result of chemical reactions taking place in your body. These reactions are responsible for making you feel negative emotions, like anger and sadness, as well as positive emotions, like love and happiness. Read on to find out what your happy hormones are and how you can increase them.
Endorphins are your body's natural painkillers, since they block pain. Most people are aware of the fact that exercise releases endorphins, but they don't realise the reason for this. Way back in the stone ages, endorphins were important to our ancestors because they enabled them to keep running through the pain and escape predators. Today, we don't need to escape predators anymore, so we only produce endorphins when we perform anaerobic exercises, since endorphins help us to keep going even after we deplete our oxygen stores.
Ways to increase your endorphin levels:
• Exercise to cope with chronic pain.
• Eat spicy food, since your tongue has receptors that react to spice by sending messages to your brain that are similar to pain signals, causing your brain to trigger the release of endorphins.
Serotonin is the key hormone of happiness, since it regulates mood, prevents depression, thwarts irritation and makes you happy and sociable.
Ways to increase your serotonin levels:
• Spend time in the sun, since sunlight causes your body to produce Vitamin D, which triggers the release of serotonin.
• Think happy thoughts, since your brain produces serotonin when you remember happy memories or think about things that make you happy.
• Consume foods like milk and corn, since they contain tryptophan, a substance that your body converts to serotonin. Other carbohydrates also contain tryptophan.
• Do a low-intensity workout, since your body produces serotonin when it is performing aerobic exercise, as opposed to the endorphins it produces during anaerobic exercise.
Dopamine is a pleasure hormone that is released when you strive towards a goal. Dopamine motivates you to work hard so that you can achieve the satisfaction of reaching that goal. It also keeps you mentally alert and helps you focus.
Ways to increase your dopamine levels:
• Set daily or monthly goals, since they give you something to strive towards.
• Set exercise goals, since dopamine increases in tandem with serotonin and endorphins when you exercise. Setting goals will increase the production of dopamine even more.
• Eat foods that are rich in protein.
Oxytocin is the love hormone, and is released in large amounts during sexual intercourse and childbirth, but also during other types of affectionate physical contact, like hugging. Oxytocin also increases feelings of love and trust.
Ways to increase your oxytocin levels: 😊
• Get a massage, since it relaxes your muscles and the prolonged physical contact triggers the release of oxytocin.
• Show your friends and family that you love them by touching them affectionately. You can hug your parents, throw an arm around a friend or cuddle up with your partner.
😊What are the limitations of these hormones?
Hormones are effective, but they do have their limitations. The effects of endorphins are only temporary. If you have had a fight with someone for example, exercising will make you feel better for a while, but until you sort out the fight your unhappiness will keep returning. Oxytocin is a great way to build a relationship, but common sense dictates that you can't love and trust everyone you meet or you will be the victim of several scams. Too much dopamine is unhealthy, since it can cause addictions.