Microsoft Outlook is a free Desktop-based email client which helps in managing emails of multiple accounts on a single platform. It also manages tasks, contacts, calendar, and notes.
Different Outlook versions:
- Outlook 98
- Outlook 2000
- Outlook 2002
- Outlook 2003
- Outlook 2007
- Outlook 2010
- Outlook 2013
- Outlook 2016
- Outlook 2019
Features of Outlook:
- Handle more than one account at one place.
- Create and manage contacts, tasks, calendar, and notes.
- Safest email client.
- Schedule appointment, meeting and can add the reminder.
- Works on offline mode (Without connectivity of the internet, the user can access previous mailbox data)
What is MS Exchange Server?
Microsoft Exchange Server is an email server, calendaring software and contacts manager. It works on Microsoft Windows OS. It has the characteristic to pile up the number of contacts and also to jog your memory with important dates. It uses Mail Clients like Outlook or any other in order to send and receive messages with the help of the mail server.
How does MS Exchange Server Works?
When a user sends a mail from MS Outlook then that mail first goes to the mail server with SMTP server and then the server sends the copy of that mail to the receiver by using IMAP incoming mail server. The exchange server always keeps a backup of each mail in EDB file format. There are two Email protocols which are used to send and receive emails. Those are-
- POP3 & IMAP
POP3 allows to download messages from the server using an email client and delete it from the server. Once the data gets deleted from the device we cannot synchronize it from the server.
IMAP allows keeping the copy of every message on the server even if it gets deleted from the device.
Features of Exchange server:
- Keeps the backup of each mailbox
- Admin have the full access to the users' mailbox
- Safe for business use
- 100% data security
Data files of Outlook:
There are two data files of Outlook. These are:
OST: OST is for Offline Storage Table which saves file on our local device which can access anytime even in the absence of Internet connection. You cannot access the OST file data of one device to another. When the user configures any email account with Exchange server and the Cashed Exchange server mode in enabled in Outlook or configuration of email account in Outlook 2013 or higher version with IMAP incoming mail server then the complete mailbox data stores in OST file format at user end in offline mode.
PST: The PST stands for Personal Storage Table format. It saves the Outlook mailbox data in structured format. The PST file creates when the user configures any email account in any version of MS Outlook with POP3 incoming mail server.
The reason behind the OST file corruption:
There are various reason for an OST file to get corrupted. Main reasons are given below:
- Power failure
- Network connection failure
- Virus attack
- Abnormal termination of Outlook
- Outlook is not performing
- Hardware problem
- Software problem
How to Repair corrupt OST file:
To repair and recover OST file which gets corrupt, the user needs an OST to PST converter software or Outlook OST file recovery software.
MailsSoftware is one of the perfect solution provider to retrieve OST file data and convert OST mailbox into PST.
Below are the steps to recover the damaged OST file:
- Download MailsSoftware OST to PST converter.
- Install and Run the software.
- Open the software.
- Upload a file clicking on Add file.
- Select the file. Click on OK.
- Then it repairs the damaged file and presents the preview of the OST data
- The user export all folder or selected folder data.
- Click on Export.
- Select the Export option.
- Choose the destination path to save converted OST file data.
- Click on Export. The OST file is converted and saved into PST.
- Click on Import/Export option of Outlook. Now, we can access the corrupt file in PST form in Outlook
Reasons to convert OST file into PST :
The following are some reasons for OST to PST conversion:
- Outlook supports only PST file.
- To make OST file accessible in other devices.
- To get deleted data from OST file
Features of MailsSoftware OST to PST conversion tool:
- Suitable with all Windows OS.
- Compatible with all versions of Outlook.
- Migrate OST file into PST, EML, MSG, MBOX, HTML, and MHTML format.
- Repair a corrupt/damaged/orphaned OST file.
- Migrates all Outlook contacts in .vcf
- Relocate all calendar in .ics
- Restores the lost Outlook data
- Maintains the original structure of the mailbox.
- Give exact recovery of data
- Preview data.
Conclusion: In this blog, I discussed about the MS Outlook and its data files and how it works with Exchange server. I also discussed about how to convert OST to PST file and reasons behind it.