It is quite common that the floor tiles keep popping up or buckling up when they are not properly installed, or there is some serious damage beneath the surface. In this article, we'll learn what causes tiles to lift and how you can prevent it.
Tiles Popping is a common occurrence around the world, especially in old homes. It makes us all frustrated. The air trapped inside the tiles makes the tile pops, but there are many other reasons as well that make the tiles popping off the floor; let have a look at those:
- When the subfloor is not levelled properly before installing tiles, can increase the chances of ceramic tile popping up.
- Using bad quality adhesive or mortar mixtures usually increases the chance of popping.
- If the tiles come in direct contact with sunlight, it will heat leading to the expansion of tiles, which makes the tiles buckle up.
- Moisture underneath your tiles can lift or loosen up the tiles.
These are all the basic reasons for tiles popping up. Now let's have a look at how we can prevent it from happening:
Tiling is one of the most important parts of the home, and so it will be highly inconvenient if they start popping up in short term. So you must take that task seriously. The important step you can take to prevent tiles from popping up is to have an experienced installer and high-quality products.
It might be a tad bit expensive to purchase high-quality materials and have an experienced installer, but it will all be worth it in the end.
And if the tiles are going to come in direct contact with the sunlight, don't use ceramic tiles, as the environment factor-like heat and humidity crack the tiles, and there will be no prevention. Instead, use other materials such as natural stones, granite, and marbles.
Now, if the tiles are already popped up, how to fix it??
Ceramic tile floor popping cannot be fixed entirely, but you can take certain measures to temporary fix it.
Generally, tiles pop because of poor installation, and so the only permanent solution is to replace all the tiles. However, you can just replace the popped-up tiles with the matching tile as a temporary fix.
Here are some things to keep in mind if you looking for how to fix ceramic tile popping up guide:
- Always, I mean always keep extra tiles from the original installation so that you can replace the damaged tile.
- Bring the old tile to a reputable tile store like AGL Tiles to find the match.
- While replacing the damaged tile, carefully use a chisel to remove any attached tile making sure not to loosen the other tiles.
- Make sure the tile is line up properly and levelled.
- Try to find the matching grout and apply it properly.
- Make sure to stay away from the newly installed tile.
Whenever you are purchasing tiles, make sure you are doing it from a reputed manufacturer. They will guide you with everything you need for the installation process. When I was tiling my floors, I bought tiles from Tile and their representative was very helpful to guide me through the whole process.