The two major email clients are MS Outlook and Lotus Notes, both are desktop email clients. The outlook is owned by Microsoft and Lotus Notes is of the IBM community.
If we look at today’s scenario, Outlook is more prevalent in major organizations than Lotus Notes. Outlook has more advanced features as compare to Lotus Notes) for their users. Lotus Notes works with Domino Server and Outlook works with Exchange Server.
However, under certain situations, many users want to switch their email client to Outlook from Lotus Notes. So to help users in migrating their data easily, we will discuss the best ways to Convert Lotus NSF to Outlook PST.
It is important to know that migrating NSF files directly in Outlook is not possible, as both have different file formats (NSF for Notes and PST for Outlook) that are incompatible with each other.
What is the need for conversion from Lotus Notes to Outlook?
- Lotus Notes files and folders, in general, get corrupted very easily due to virus attacks, malware, or abrupt system shutdown.
- Microsoft Outlook files are accessible even in offline mode.
- The Outlook is more user-friendly as compared to IBM Lotus Notes.
- Outlook gives you more configuration options with various applications of Microsoft Office Suite(like MS Word, Powerpoint or Excel, etc.) as compared to Lotus Notes.
- MS Outlook has Slightly better email management with cost-effectiveness as compared to Lotus Notes.
- Security benefit-having a backup of your important files in PST would be very beneficial for every company and even job seekers as well.
Although Lotus Notes has its benefits and Outlook has its benefits, If we look at the practicality, It’s always good to have an email client with a user-friendly GUI and with more customization options.
Easy Methods to Convert Lotus Notes NSF to Outlook PST
The manual way for NSF to PST conversion
- Open the Lotus notes and then click on the file menu.
- Browse for an NSF file/mail that you want to convert and click on the Export option.
- Now you will see Export wizard gets opened, give the file name, and select the path for the resultant file.
- Choose the type of comma-separated values(CSV)
5, A dialog box will appear, which requires you to give different preferences like converting single or multiple documents, etc. After all this process, you will be able to see CSV files at the path assigned by you.
Now Import these CSV files into Outlook follow these steps
- Open MS Outlook on your Laptop/PC, Go to the files tab and click on the Import/export option.
- In the Import/Export Wizard tab, select Import from another program option, click Next.
- Choose Comma separated value in the next tab.
- In the next window, browse for the CSV file which you saved at the desired path.
- Give an option if you want to replace the duplicate items in the CSV file.
- Select the folder in the Outlook tab where you want to save the file
- Now you will see a check box, select that check box to import the file to the desired destination
- After finishing the process, you can see the imported Outlook file.
Note: To convert the Calenders, follow the same process, but when you will be choosing the file type choose iCalendar(.ics).
Disadvantages of this method are:-
- You will have to convert every file individually to Outlook PST, which can take time.
- Data can get lost or you can forget to add/convert any filer or folder. These problems can occur as the process is repetitive and long.
- It is Time-consuming to first export and then imports
Professional method to Convert Lotus NSF to Outlook PST
Using a free NSF to PST Converter can be another great option as the process will get automated and you will be able to convert multiple NSF files at a time without any technical expertise.
Benefits of using a free NSF to PST Converter:-
- Migrates calendars, contacts, and email at the same time.
- A date range filter to remove unnecessary files.
- You can also convert any file or folder even when it is encrypted.
Conversion of NSF to PST would be the best bet for everyone as Outlook offers more customization and better data management features. As far as the conversion is concerned, Go for the method which is more beneficial and takes less time. It would be best to Convert Lotus NSF to Outlook PST through Lotus Notes converter as it offers multiple saving options.