What are the ten most popular and best search engines in the world? Apart from Google and Bing, there are other search engines that may be less popular but still work millions of search queries per day. As a matter of fact, Google is not the only search engine existing on the . In fact, there are various search engines that want to take the Google seat but none are ready (yet) to be dangerous.
Seznam comes at 10th place in our list of the most popular search engine in the world. This search engine and web site are very popular in the Czech Republic. In fact, it was the leading search engine there until Google arrived. Today, Google owns 84 percent of the Czech Republic’s market share, leaving only 16 percent of Zenam and others. This search engine was founded in 1996 by Ivo Lukačovič in Prague. It started as a simple search engine and online directory. By 2001, Seeznam had introduced financial, social, and political issues, as well as TV programs, dictionaries, maps, weather forecasts, and more. Today Seeznam uses more than 15 online services and related products.
Ecosia is currently the world’s 9th largest search engine. Ecosia is a Berlin-based social enterprise founded by Christian Kroll in 2009. The main reason for the construction of ecosia was to help finance tree planting and restoration projects. It is therefore known as the “tree search engine”. This means that by simply using a search engine, you can contribute to the environment. Ecosia makes money by promoting tree planning by displaying ads in their search results. Every time an ad is clicked, ecosia gets a small share. It is estimated that it takes about 45 searches to pay for the planting of a single tree. According to the market share of search engines, Ecosia’s share is almost 0.10%. Ecosia Homepage maintains the number of trees planted by Ecosia users — 51 million and calculated at the time of writing Plus, the search engine provides each counter telling you how many trees your search has planted.
The old AOL is in the top 10 search engines with a market share of close to 0.05% by 2020. The AOL network includes many popular websites such as engadget.com, techchrunch.com, and huffingtonpost.com. On June 23, 2015, AOL was obtained by Verizon Communications. AOL — short for “America Online” — began to exist in 1985. The New York City-based web portal and online service provider was one of the first online pioneers in the mid-1990’s. In 2021 AOL currently owns only 0.06 percent of the global search engine market. This is surprising considering that AOL was once an online trailblazer.
Initially, it provided a dialing service, website, email, and instant messaging. About this time, AOL had its own search engine called NetFind, which was renamed “AOL Search” in 1999. However, over time, AOL lost its dominance over the internet as new competitors such as Google filled the market. AOL, therefore, focused on acquiring major online media companies. It acquired TechCrunch in 2010 for $ 25 million, bought the Huffington Post for $ 315 million in 2011, and acquired many well-known online products. Then in 2015, AOL was acquired by Verizon Communications for $ 4.4 billion.
Ask is the seventh largest search engine in the world with a market share of 0.72 percent — 100 times smaller than Google and ten times smaller than Bing. Founded in 1996 by Garrett Gruener and David Warthen in California, the area was originally called “Ask Jeeves.” The idea was not to create another directory or search engine, but the quiz and answer service was exactly like a visual concierge. That’s why the founders chose the name after PG. Wodehouse character, Jeves the butler. The company dropped the word “Jeeves” from the name in 2006 when the company renamed it “Ask.”
Previously known as Ask Jeeves, Ask.com received about 0.42% of the search query. The ASK is based on a question / answer format where most questions are answered by other users or in a voting mode. It also works normally but the results return empty compared to Google or Bing and Yahoo. In 2010, Ask.com gave up on the search engine market after facing unbeatable competition from successful search engines like Google. Now, Google is enabling Ask.com search results.
DuckDuckGo is the sixth-largest search engine with a 0.39 percent share in the global market. This search engine is about privacy. These days, there are a lot of Google privacy issues. Giant is known for tracking, monitoring, and collecting data about its users. So if you feel uncomfortable with the approval and storage of your data, or don’t like targeted advertising, you might want to give DuckDuckGo a chance. The search engine tag line says “Privacy, simplified.” The market share of DuckDuckGo search engines is approximately 0.45%.